Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Summer garden, Day 1

So it's been about 2 1/2 years since I tried this blahg thing. To make it easier this time I am just going to start writing about my garden. At a minimum this will be weekly, but probably more often when I start geeking out on the first flowers and buds to grace the branches of my little soldiers. So....

...today was planting day. In my meager twenty-four square feet of earth allotted to me I plopped down three tomato plants and four pepper plants. This is in addition to the oregano and mint that survived the winter. The cast of characters includes a cherry tomato plant, a Roma, and a Better Boy hybrid. The peppers are a Jalapeno, a Serrano, a banana pepper and some fancy Sweet Italian frying pepper. Still waiting for potting soil are the basil, thyme, sage and rosemary. They're like the enlisted men of the unit, while the fruit bearing plants are the NCOs. It's my little Band of Veggies, the Plants of Company "G", and I'm Major Winters.

The soldiers are as of yet unnamed, although numerous naming themes are available. Truth be told the "crop" of characters currently have about as much charisma as a shovel, but that will change. Oh yes it will.

You know, this would all be a lot better with pictures. Maybe tomorrow I'll draft Moxie into the Unit. Anyway, here's to hoping that as my little soldiers develop into a lean, mean fruit bearing machine that this blog will do likewise. For me at least.

Diiiiiiiis-missed!!

4 comments:

Moxie said...

I'd be happy to enlist as the propaganda officer and provide you with some publicity photos for your unit, SIR! ;-)

Megan Stuke said...

Come plant my garden. I can't seem to get around to it.

Meryl said...

Definitely need to get the Mrs. in on the photos, but yay for more blogging!

-blessed b9, Catalyst4Christ said...

Hey, girl, I live in Lawrence, KS.
Small wurld.
Im a NDEr.
GBY